Pages

Wednesday 26 April 2023

#NaPoWriMo Day 16 Home

 #NaPoWriMo Day 16 

Today's prompt was to write a poem of negation. A poem that involves describing something in terms of what it is not. 

  

 Home


My home is not an easy place

I don't drive there by car 

I cannot walk or run to it

although it isn't far. 


I do not turn a tap to drink                             

I may not have a bath

unless I fell into the Thames

but then I would not laugh. 


I cannot easy get to shops

when outboards will not start 

my mum is far too far to come

I do not like that part. 


I do not miss the petrol fumes 

I do not miss TV 

I would not want a bigger home 

that couldn't float you see. 


I would not like to be without                    

owls, otters, swans and then 

I'd miss the songs of little birds

the blackbirds and the wren. 


I would not like to miss the sight                

of red kites flying high 

I would not like to be without

tall trees that touch the sky. 


I will not tell you how I love 

sweet nature all around 

suffice to say it soothes my heart -

the sights, the scents, the sound. 


I would not swap my home                       

you see, I would not live elsewhere 

the flowing river is my home

I live without a care. 


(P. S. Please spare a thought for the kingfishers, squirrels, deer, fox, badgers, herons, cormorants, grebes, geese, ducks, bats, mice, fish, spiders, insects and any other creatures who would not fit in my poem. Except maybe the mink, despite them being so beautiful, because they like to kill everything else).                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Sometimes Wish I was a Tree

 I sometimes wish I was a tree My arms raised worshipping the starred sky,  The moon with her lily light shine Feeling the magic of the soft...