Pages

Wednesday 26 April 2023

#NaPoWriMo Day 17 My Apple Pie Life

 #NaPoWriMo Day 17

Today’s challenge was to write a poem that contains the name of a specific variety of edible plant. 


My Apple Pie Life


An apple a day keeps the doctor away? 

That's what I heard. 

One of five-a-day                                            

to make you live                                     

longer... 


My

ever

lengthening

life

of

apples... 


Once tiny tart crab apples

grew in my neighbour's garden 

I remember pulling faces                    

climbing up old apple trees. 


Sweet Cox's Orange Pippins

that scrummy eating apple

scrumped from a high walled orchard

by my daring sister Jan. 


Halloween bob apples 

Autumn Russet beauties

Discoveries of wonder 

Granny Smith's, Braeburns and Spartans. 


Bramley apple branches                    

hanging heavy, dropping windfalls 

my memories of mum's custard

ladled thick on apple pies. 


Now in my own back garden

I have poplar trees and willow

I so miss the trees of childhood 

my sweet apple munching days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Sometimes Wish I was a Tree

 I sometimes wish I was a tree My arms raised worshipping the starred sky,  The moon with her lily light shine Feeling the magic of the soft...