Pages

Wednesday 26 April 2023

#NaPoWriMo Day 19 The Dark

 #NaPoWriMo Day 19

For the prompt today we were asked to cast our minds back to our own childhood and write a poem about something that scared us – or was used to scare us – and which still haunts us (if only a little bit) today.

So here's mine... 


The DARK

you knew it scared me 

you liked to hear my screams. 

for when the lights had all gone out 

my

   mind

       made                                                   

                       Monsters! 


You sent me down to cellars 

you led me into lofts 

you shut the door 

turned off the lights

and took your monster pill 


You made that awful noise 

the one you knew I hated 

I screamed you laughed 

you thought it fun 

just an enormous silly joke 


You never saw what I saw

when all the lights went out                       

you could not feel my panic 

just thinking it a game 


You wouldn't see what I saw

or feel the way I froze 

you didn't know 

the shadow beasts

foul creatures that appeared 


So many grasping horrid things 

the nasty and abhorrent things 

the scratching and the biting things

that came from every side 


You made me scream

I made you laugh

I thought the world of you                               

I always loved you Daddy

you just never really knew!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Sometimes Wish I was a Tree

 I sometimes wish I was a tree My arms raised worshipping the starred sky,  The moon with her lily light shine Feeling the magic of the soft...